Friday, December 15, 2006

Writing Assignment 1

Lets return to the topic of rhyme, whenever I first started writing poetry I wrote poems that rhymed. My reason for doing so was that writing in rhyme seemed fun to me. I always found poems that rhymed to be easier for me to write because the words I choose were dictated by the rhyme. So, if I used 'blood' in one line, I would have to end the next sentence with a word that had a similar sound. Offhand, this would mean my selections could be 'mud', 'above', or 'love' (do you hear that consonant sound?). Basically I would use the rhyme scheme that developed in the poem as a type of map to follow.

Now its time for you to try it.

Make a list of 15 words.

For each of these 15 words, write down four additional words that rhyme. This will give you 75 words.

Stare at the words you have written down. Do you see a pattern of general theme emerging between these words?

Pick a word and try to write a sentence using that word. Next, try to write another sentence using one of the rhyming words you wrote down.

Don't get frustrated if you're not pleased in the lines of poetry your coming up with. Very few people can sit down and churn out a masterpiece like Edger Allen Poe's “The Raven”. Instead I would like you to just relax and write down whatever comes to mind. Speaking of mind, free you mind and let the words come to you.

Good luck!

No comments: