Friday, December 15, 2006

Intro to writing

Now that you have had an opportunity to learn about some of the tools that poets use to create poetry, it is time for us to begin the writing portion of this class. As was mentioned in the introduction to this class, I expect for you to write at least twenty lines of poetry during each lesson. This might seem a little harsh at first, but as poets we must maintain this work ethic. Nothing comes easy in life, and the same can be said for poetry. Poetry takes practice.

I am aware that you may not at this point be comfortable with sharing your poetry entries with your classmates. Thats fine, if you did as I asked and created a blog at WordPress, then you can password these entries. However, I must insist that you allow me access to these posts. If I can't see them, then you won't receive a grade for your effort. I would suggest that if you do choose to password these entries then you will need to send me the password. If you continue to password your entries, then you got to stick with the same password on your future posts. There are too many of you in this class for me to be keeping up with an ever-changing list of passwords.

Also, if you have not done so, make sure you add the addresses of your classmates' blogs in your rss gator. If you don't do this, you will not be able to share your poetry during work shops.

This is how this final section of the class will work, you will continue to check my blog as you have been doing. Each day I will be posting some different writing exercises. You have the option of following these instructions or striking out on your own. Either way is fine with me, my main concern is that you are making a genuine attempt at writing poetry. Unless I dictate otherwise in the writing activity, you will be expected to write at least 20 lines of poetry in each entry. Don't panic, this isn't as bad as it sounds. I am not expecting you to write entries in your blog that are ready to be published. Think of your entries as a pre-writing or brainstorming activity. This is an opportunity for you to play with the language, discover what works best. When I look at your posts I want to see this experimentation, I want to see the beginnings of your poems.

Throughout the course of this section I will assign two workshop dates. On these dates you will post a poem that you have been working on. Unlike you're other entries, this one cannot be passworded. On these workshop days, you are expected to visit ALL of your fellow classmates' blogs and read the poems they have posted. You are obligated to post comments on five of your classmates' blogs. In these comments I want you to review their poem. Let them know about the piece's strengths and weaknesses. Constructive criticism is welcomed and encouraged, being hateful and insulting will have a negative effect on your grade.

After these workshop dates, I want you to write me one double-spaced page about the workshop experience. Let me know what you took from this experience. Did any students suggestions answer some of your questions about your poem? Who provided the most help? How will you use this the comments gather from this workshop experience when you go back to revise your poem?

After the final workshop session you will be given a few days to work on your poems. You've still got to make posts in your blogs, but in these posts I want to see you writing or revising a poem for the final submission. As was mentioned previously, you are expected to turn in two completed poems. Unlike your previous posts, these poems don't necessarily need to be twenty lines. With that said, if I get the impression while reading this that you might be trying to pass off some last minutes scribbles as a poem, then I will be in touch with you. From that point we will discuss the poem and try to come to an mutual understanding. What I am wanting to see in these poems is evidence that you gave this writing assignment your best effort. Just make a genuine effort at this task and I'll assure you your effort will be rewarded.

Now that I've finished my rather lengthy speech, lets write!

No comments: